The Research Enterprise and Innovation directorate is seeking to appoint a Research Assistant B / Senior Research Assistant A in Research Commercialisation on a fixed term (10 months – pro-rata) specified purpose basis. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to a research focused start-up project. The HealRoad project, funded by Enterprise Ireland, seeks to commercialise self-healing system for asphalt pavements (roads). The Research Assistant will work closely with the Principal Investigator (PI) to develop a commercialisation plan for the HealRoad project and engage with potential customers and stakeholders. In return, the applicant will gain expertise in commercialisation of cutting edge research and obtain formal commercialisation training, with the intended end-goal being the launch of an innovative start-up company.
To work with PI to:
- Develop an industry and investors engagement plan.
- Organise meetings with national and international stakeholders and investors.
- Record and analyse stake holder interviews.
- Attend national and international conferences and trade-shows.
- Contribute to the preparation of project progress reports.
- Contribute to the overall activities of the project.
- Carry out any other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the
- Manage time effectively to meet the deliverables of the
- Actively comply with all TU Dublin policies and regulations, including those in relation to Research Ethics and Health and
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the appropriate mix of knowledge, experience, skills, talent and abilities as outlined below:
- An undergraduate B.Sc. (Hons) (NFQ level 8) in Business, Entrepreneurship, Marketing or related subject (with business development as a major course component) or equivalent award by an approved degree-awarding authority. Candidates with scientific and engineering background are also encouraged to apply. (desirable)
- Knowledge of commercialising research from the Third-Level Sector (desirable)
- Knowledge of start-up creation and early-stage finance (desirable)
For appointment at Senior Research Assistant level the candidate will have:
- A Master’s Degree (NQF L9) or equivalent in a relevant discipline (essential), or
- Five Years’ post-primary degree relevant research experience in the public or private sector (essential)
The successful candidate will have prior experience in;
- At least 2 years whole time experience (essential)
- Have previous industry experience working in product development. (desirable)
- Materials and materials science knowledge. (desirable)
- Working with asphalt industry and roads infrastructure owners, such as: national standards committees or other national and international specialist bodies. (desirable)
Skills, talents & abilities
- The successful candidate will be highly skilled and motivated with the ability to work independently and as part of a
- Excellent digital communication skills, including: linked in, twitter, and preparation of web-based
- Excellent organisational, interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to meet deadlines as
- Willingness to work on his/hers own initiative and a willingness to learn.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- he successful candidate should have appropriate report writing skills, basic statistics and possess computer literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- The successful candidate will be appointed at Point 1 of the Research Assistant B salary scale i.e. €29,649 gross per annum (pro-rata for 10 months) or Point 1 of the Senior Research salary scale i.e. €29,593 gross per annum (pro-rata for 10 months).